22/23 Playwright’s Unit
The 22/23 Obsidian Playwrights Unit is a national intensive play development program that will support 2 to 3 Black playwrights through virtual group sessions and individual mentorship. Facilitated by actor and playwright, Lisa Codrington, the unit will discuss and develop their plays culminating in a performance where each playwright has the chance to workshop an excerpt of their piece with actors and a director, and hear it read aloud at Obsidian’s annual Playwrights Unit Showcase in Toronto, ON. This is a paid opportunity.
Obsidian Theatre is interested in showcasing the richness and complexity of Blackness in all of its intersections across the nation so that our art can truly reflect the communities we serve. What stories do you want to bring to the stage and why? What does your idea/play bring to a Canadian stage that has not been seen before? These are just some of the questions we are interested in discussing and exploring as we begin the journey of developing new work.
For full list of past participants please checkout our website: https://www.obsidiantheatre.com/artist-centre/for-playwrights-2/
- You’re working on a new exciting idea for a play.
- You are an emerging OR established playwright.
- You are a Black artist. Artists who meet Blackness at all intersections are encouraged to submit!
Artist CV/Resume (maximum 2 pages)
Letter of Intent (maximum 750 words; font size 12)
- Tell us about you and your artistic practice
- Briefly describe your play and how it connects to your growth as an artist
Here are some suggestions of questions to answer within the letter:
- Why are you considering Obsidian’s Playwrights Unit and why now?
- What conversations are reflected in the work you are proposing to create?
- What do you wish to learn from the unit?
- What Black artists/Black art inspires you and why?
Writing sample (PDF; maximum 7 pages; font size 12)
- A sample of past work OR
- A sample of the play you would like to develop in the unit OR
- A synopsis of the new play you would like to develop in the unit
**Please include Letter of Intent & Writing Sample in one (1) PDF. file**
Additional support material (optional)
Links to website/social media
Submissions close Thursday, September 1st, 2022 at 11:55 PM EST.
For any questions you might have about the unit and/or your application you can email Vanessa Spence at firstname.lastname@example.org.