Job Description – General Manager
OBSIDIAN THEATRE JOB POSTING
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER
Submission Deadline: Monday December 2, 2013
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Position: Full Time
Obsidian Theatre is Canada’s leading independent theatre company focusing on the work by and for the African diaspora. It operates with the goal of producing quality work with an unflinchingly high standard of excellence.
We are looking for a General Manager, and not just any General Manager. We are looking for someone who is as passionate about theatre as we are, who loves it, and because they love theatre they have made producing and managing it an art form.
An art form because those that do it best place a high price on respect, attention to detail and inclusiveness. Our new GM will stand by the company value that at Obsidian everyone, no matter the job, has a place and voice at the table.The General Manager will report to the Artistic Director.
The duties will include but are not limited to:
- The administration of the season: this typically is one or two full productions plus oversight of our various training programs.
- Financial management: building and administrating the season and project budgets
- Fundraising (in cooperation with the Board of Directors), grant writing and liaising with funding agencies
- Producing: overseeing marketing and the promotion of the company, its shows, and ancillary events,including management of contract workers
- Human resources: contracting artists, production and administrative personnel
- Board and community liaison, strategic and long-term planning
- Development and execution of annual operating budget and financial forecasting including cash flow statements and the setting of financial resource acquisition goals.
- Management of staff, including production, actors, development, marketing, interns and volunteers.
- Supervising production development, with the assistance of production staff.
- Grant writing, foundation asks and corporate sponsorship pitches.
- Occasionally representing the company at public events and speaking on behalf of the company
The ideal candidate will have:
• Proven leadership capability.
• Successful track record with grant writing and fundraising.
• A successful track record in fiscal management.
• Ability to translate artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans.
• Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
•A sense of humour- you will need it, you will be working in Theatre
The candidate should be a highly skilled manager with a minimum of three years of experience in theatre administration, should be very organized, should have excellent written and oral communication skills, should be proficient with standard computer software (Word, Excel, etc.), should have strong document management skills, should be able to manage the needs of a medium sized theatre company and should be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
Experience with CADAC, SUMAC, PACT and funding bodies will be an asset. Beyond that, however: we are looking for someone to be inspired and inspire us with an administrative vision for the company that will allow our excellent work to be sustainable and to flourish for years to come. You must also like Prince; we play a lot of it in the office.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resumé attached as a PDF or Word document by 5pm on Monday, December 2, 2013 BY EMAIL ONLY to the attention of: Obsidian Hiring Committee.
Obsidian Email: office [at] obsidiantheatre [dot] com *Please note the position in the subject line*
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
Obsidian Theatre is an equal opportunity employer (obviously).